Thursday, August 25, 2011

Glass Etching DIY

Hey everyone! Last night I was feeling creative so i decided to do a quick easy DIY for etching glass it was so much fun and the results are way better then I thought it would be. Okay there are only about three steps to this project.

#1 set up you materials
     - Picture frame with glass in it (I actually found out some places just sell frames huh weird) or any piece of glass you want, but something flat works the best. I got my frames for under $2 at a thrift store.
    - Clear contact paper at any art store or hardware store I believe that was in the $1 - $5 range depending on if you just get sheets of a roll.
    - Armour etch this was also only a couple of dollars at the art store.
    - exacto knife or some sort of blade so that you can cut the design out of the contact paper.
   - final the design you want. I got mine from the internet I just google black and white images.

#2 Take the glass out of the frame and clean it so that there are no fluff balls or what not on it. After you have cleaned the glass put your clear contact paper onto the glass make sure you don't have any bubbles.
And place your design on the other side of the glass so that you can cut out the design ( the contact paper is going to be your stencil)

contact paper-Glass-design

take out the pieces that you want to be etched

#3 With a brush but on a thick layer of the etching cream and let it sit for 5 minutes (I let it sit a little long but that may be because I was watching america's next top model and didn't want to get up haha) After the five minutes have passed wash the the cream off in water making sure all the cream is off. Then I peeled the contact paper off and dried the glass a viola you have etched glass!

I also did a skull on a glass candy dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment